[OANNES Foro] Do hatchery-reared sea urchins pose a threat to genetic diversity in wild populations?

Mario Cabrejos casal en infotex.com.pe
Mie Mar 9 07:14:45 PST 2016

Heredity (2016) 116, 378–383;

doi:10.1038/hdy.2015.109;

published online 13 January 2016

Do hatchery-reared sea urchins pose a threat to genetic diversity in wild
populations?

M Segovia-Viadero
<http://www.nature.com/hdy/journal/v116/n4/abs/hdy2015109a.html?WT.ec_id=HDY
-201604&spMailingID=50872484&spUserID=MTc2MTM5MjAwNAS2&spJobID=881094978&spR
eportId=ODgxMDk0OTc4S0#aff1> 1,
<http://www.nature.com/hdy/journal/v116/n4/abs/hdy2015109a.html?WT.ec_id=HDY
-201604&spMailingID=50872484&spUserID=MTc2MTM5MjAwNAS2&spJobID=881094978&spR
eportId=ODgxMDk0OTc4S0#aff2> 2, E A Serrão
<http://www.nature.com/hdy/journal/v116/n4/abs/hdy2015109a.html?WT.ec_id=HDY
-201604&spMailingID=50872484&spUserID=MTc2MTM5MjAwNAS2&spJobID=881094978&spR
eportId=ODgxMDk0OTc4S0#aff1> 1, J C Canteras-Jordana
<http://www.nature.com/hdy/journal/v116/n4/abs/hdy2015109a.html?WT.ec_id=HDY
-201604&spMailingID=50872484&spUserID=MTc2MTM5MjAwNAS2&spJobID=881094978&spR
eportId=ODgxMDk0OTc4S0#aff3> 3 and M Gonzalez-Wangüemert
<http://www.nature.com/hdy/journal/v116/n4/abs/hdy2015109a.html?WT.ec_id=HDY
-201604&spMailingID=50872484&spUserID=MTc2MTM5MjAwNAS2&spJobID=881094978&spR
eportId=ODgxMDk0OTc4S0#aff1> 1

1CCMAR, Universidade do Algarve, Gambelas, Faro, Portugal 2Departamento de
Ciencias del Mar y Biología Aplicada, Universidad de Alicante, Campus de San
Vicente de Raspeig, Alicante, Spain 3Departamento de Ciencias y Técnicas del
Agua y del Medio Ambiente, Universidad de Cantabria, ETS de Ingenieros de
Caminos, Canales y Puertos, Santander, Spain. Correspondence: M
Segovia-Viadero, E-mail:  <mailto:msegoviaviadero en hotmail.com>
msegoviaviadero en hotmail.com

<http://www.nature.com/hdy/journal/v116/n4/abs/hdy2015109a.html?WT.ec_id=HDY
-201604&spMailingID=50872484&spUserID=MTc2MTM5MjAwNAS2&spJobID=881094978&spR
eportId=ODgxMDk0OTc4S0#top> Topof page

Abstract

In salmonids, the release of hatchery-reared fish has been shown to cause
irreversible genetic impacts on wild populations. However, although
responsible practices for producing and releasing genetically diverse,
hatchery-reared juveniles have been published widely, they are rarely
implemented. Here, we investigated genetic differences between wild and
early-generation hatchery-reared populations of the purple sea urchin
Paracentrotus lividus (a commercially important species in Europe) to assess
whether hatcheries were able to maintain natural levels of genetic
diversity. To test the hypothesis that hatchery rearing would cause
bottleneck effects (that is, a substantial reduction in genetic diversity
and differentiation from wild populations), we compared the levels and
patterns of genetic variation between two hatcheries and four nearby wild
populations, using samples from both Spain and Ireland. We found that
hatchery-reared populations were less diverse and had diverged significantly
from the wild populations, with a very small effective population size and a
high degree of relatedness between individuals. These results raise a number
of concerns about the genetic impacts of their release into wild
populations, particularly when such a degree of differentiation can occur in
a single generation of hatchery rearing. Consequently, we suggest that
caution should be taken when using hatchery-reared individuals to augment
fisheries, even for marine species with high dispersal capacity, and we
provide some recommendations to improve hatchery rearing and release
practices. Our results further highlight the need to consider the genetic
risks of releasing hatchery-reared juveniles into the wild during the
establishment of restocking, stock enhancement and sea ranching programs.

---