[OANNES Foro] A Wave Glider Approach to Fisheries Acoustics. Transforming How to Monitor Commercial Fisheries in the 21st Century

Mario Cabrejos casal en infotex.com.pe
Jue Jun 30 17:08:14 PDT 2016

Oceanography 27(4):168-174, December 2014

http://dx.doi.org/10.5670/oceanog.2014.82.

A Wave Glider Approach to Fisheries Acoustics. Transforming How We Monitor
the Nation's Commercial Fisheries in the 21st Century

By Charles H. Greene, Erin L. Meyer-Gutbrod, Louise P. McGarry, Lawrence C.
Hufnagle Jr., Dezhang Chu, Sam McClatchie, Asa Packer, Jae-Byung Jung,
Timothy Acker, Huck Dorn, and Chris Pelkie

ABSTRACT. Possessing the world's largest Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ), the
United States enjoys the benefits of a multi-billion dollar commercial
fishing industry. Along with these benefits comes the enormous task of
assessing the status of the nation's commercial fish stocks. At present,
many of the most valuable commercial fish stocks are assessed using acoustic
surveys conducted from manned survey vessels. The expense and limited
availability of ship time often compromise the quantity and quality of the
acoustic stock assessment data being collected.

Here, we describe our vision for how an unmanned mobile platform, the Liquid
Robotics Wave Glider, can be used in large numbers to supplement manned
survey

vessels and transform fisheries acoustics into a science more consistent
with the new ocean-observing paradigm. Wave Gliders harness wave energy for
propulsion and solar energy to power their communications, control,
navigation, and environmental sensing systems. This unique utilization of
wave and solar energy allows Wave Gliders to collect ocean environmental
data sets for extended periods of time.

Recently, we developed new technology for Wave Gliders that enable them to
collect multifrequency, split-beam acoustic data sets comparable to those
collected with manned survey vessels. A fleet of Wave Gliders collecting
such data would dramatically improve the synoptic nature as well as the
spatial and temporal coverage of acoustic stock assessment surveys.

With improved stock assessments, fisheries managers would have better
information to set quotas that maximize yields to fishermen and reduce the
likelihood of overfishing. Improved observational capabilities also would
enable fisheries scientists and oceanographers to more closely monitor the

stocks to climate variability and change as well as ocean acidification.

---