[OANNES Foro] Jellymageddon: Can we stop the rise of the jellyfish?

Mario Cabrejos casal en infotex.com.pe
Vie Jul 15 16:19:25 PDT 2016

Acoustic shocks, electrocution, and robot shredders - extreme measures are
being considered to tackle the increasing numbers of jellyfish in the oceans

Jellymageddon: Can we stop the rise of the jellyfish?

By Tamar Stelling

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23130821-500-march-of-the-jellies/?cm
pid=NLC%7CNSNS%7C2016-1407-newGLOBAL
<https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23130821-500-march-of-the-jellies/?c
mpid=NLC%7CNSNS%7C2016-1407-newGLOBAL&utm_medium=NLC&utm_source=NSNS>
&utm_medium=NLC&utm_source=NSNS

jellyfish

Alexander Semenov/getty

ANDREW Sweetman has spent a lot of time throwing dead jellyfish into the
sea. At the bottom of the Sognefjord, Norway's largest fjord, a time-lapse
camera recorded their fate. He's trying to answer a simple question: does
anything eat jellyfish?

That neatly sums up how little we really know about those alien creatures.
Jellyfish carrion carpets the seabed, suggesting it is not a favourite
food."Why would you eat a jellyfish?" asks Sweetman, who now works at Heriot
Watt University in Edinburgh, UK. "A jellyfish is 96 per cent water. You
might as well just swim with your mouth open."

For a long time, it didn't matter that we knew so little about these
animals. They were just a mucous mess that washed up on beaches, or a
painful nuisance for swimmers. But then
<https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn12235-jellyfish-swarms-threaten-medi
terranean-beach-bums> huge invading swarms - jellyfish blooms - started
making the news. In their millions, jellyfish are capable of spectacular
acts of sabotage. Yet nobody knows where these blooms come from or how to
get rid of them. Time to ask more questions beyond whether anything eats
them. Are numbers really going up? If so, why? More importantly, what can we
do about it?

<https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22530100-800-suez-superhighway-stopp
ing-the-tide-of-alien-invaders> Jellyfish blooms can cause chaos. When the
power went out on the island of Luzon in the Philippines in 1999, locals
thought a long-feared military coup was under way. They were wrong. Sucked
into water intakes, jellyfish had taken out vital services from power
stations to data centres and water treatment plants. In 2006, a jellyfish
bloom temporarily disabled the Ronald Reagan, one of the US navy's flagship
nuclear-powered supercarriers. Gelatinous bodies had ...

---