[OANNES Foro] Elevated CO2 Enhances Otolith Growth in Young Fish

raul sanchez resnsc en yahoo.com
Sab Jun 27 15:30:16 PDT 2009

Science 26 June 2009:
Vol. 324. no. 5935, p. 1683
DOI: 10.1126/science.1169806
Elevated CO2 Enhances Otolith Growth in Young FishDavid M. Checkley, Jr.,* Andrew G. Dickson, Motomitsu Takahashi, J. Adam Radich, Nadine Eisenkolb, Rebecca Asch

A large fraction of the carbon dioxide added to the atmosphere by human activity enters the sea, causing ocean acidification. We show that otoliths (aragonite ear bones) of young fish grown under high CO2 (low pH) conditions are larger than normal, contrary to expectation. We hypothesize that CO2 moves freely through the epithelium around the otoliths in young fish, accelerating otolith growth while the local pH is controlled. This is the converse of the effect commonly reported for structural biominerals.
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego, CA 92093, USA.
 Present address: Seikai National Fisheries Research Institute, Fisheries Research Agency, 1551-8, Taira-machi, Nagasaki-shi, Nagasaki 851-2213, Japan.
 Present address: Department of Biological Sciences, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA.

* To whom correspondence should be addressed. E-mail: dcheckley en ucsd.edu

Saludos,

Raúl Sánchez Scaglioni