[OANNES Foro] Fw: Global Fisheries report available

Victor Loyola vloyola en produce.gob.pe
Lun Jul 6 06:29:09 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: Camilo Mora
Sent: Sunday, July 05, 2009 10:32 AM
Subject: Global Fisheries report available

Dear Víctor:

You were contacted as part of our survey on the management effectiveness of
the world's fisheries and I would like to invite you to see the report,
which was published in the Journal PlosBiology. The paper is free and can be
located at:
http://www.plosbiology.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pbio.1000131

We also have a video describing the paper at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwG3whtgn64

The core results of the analysis were:

1) Only 7% of all coastal states in the world carried out rigorous
assessments of the stocks and ecosystem effects of fishing, 1.2% also have
transparent and participatory political processes to convert scientific
recommendations into policy and less than 1% of the coastal states in the
world also provide for an efficient process for the enforcement of
regulations.

2) Policy transparency was the prime factor determining fisheries
sustainability while in non-transparent systems subsidies also had an
additional significant toll on sustainability.

3) In 33% of the poorest countries in the world, mostly countries in Africa,
Asia and the Pacific, most of their commercial fishing is carried out by the
fleets of the European Union, Japan, China, South Korea, Taiwan and the
United States.

I invite you to see detailed results in the paper.

Thanks for your attention and help if you participated in the survey,

Best wishes,

Camilo
Camilo Mora, Ph.D.
Department of Biology, Dalhouisie University, Halifax, Canada; Phone:
902-494-2146
http://as01.ucis.dal.ca/fmap/people.php?pid=53