[OANNES Foro] Beyond Marine Reserves: Exploring the Approach of Selecting Areas where Fishing Is Permitted, Rather than

raul sanchez resnsc en yahoo.com
Mie Ago 5 08:26:29 PDT 2009

Beyond Marine Reserves: Exploring the Approach of
Selecting Areas where Fishing Is Permitted, Rather than
Prohibited
Natalie C. Ban1,2*, Amanda C. J. Vincent1
1 Project Seahorse, Fisheries Centre, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, 2 Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for Coral
Reef Studies, James Cook University, Townsville, Queensland, Australia
Abstract
Background: Marine populations have been declining at a worrying rate, due in large part to fishing pressures. The
challenge is to secure a future for marine life while minimizing impacts on fishers and fishing communities.
Methods and Principal Findings: Rather than selecting areas where fishing is banned – as is usually the case with spatial
management – we assess the concept of designating areas where fishing is permitted. We use spatial catch statistics for
thirteen commercial fisheries on Canada’s west coast to determine the minimum area that would be needed to maintain a
pre-ascribed target percentage of current catches. We found that small reductions in fisheries yields, if strategically
allocated, could result in large unfished areas that are representative of biophysical regions and habitat types, and have the
potential to achieve remarkable conservation gains.
Conclusions: Our approach of selecting fishing areas instead of reserves could help redirect debate about the relative values
that society places on conservation and extraction, in a framework that could gain much by losing little. Our ideas are
intended to promote discussions about the current status quo in fisheries management, rather than providing a definitive
solution.
Citation: Ban NC, Vincent ACJ (2009) Beyond Marine Reserves: Exploring the Approach of Selecting Areas where Fishing Is Permitted, Rather than
Prohibited. PLoS ONE 4(7): e6258. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0006258