[OANNES Foro] Sea turtle made a nest and laid its eggs at Puerto Eten

Mario Cabrejos casal en infotex.com.pe
Sab Feb 23 05:08:13 PST 2013

Sea turtle swims from Galapagos to Peruvian coast
By Manuel Vigo
February 22, 2013
http://www.peruthisweek.com/news-3635-sea-turtle-swims-from-galapagos-to-peruvian-coast/

(Photo: El Comercio/Wilfredo Sandoval)

On Thursday, residents of Puerto Eten, in the region of Lambayeque, were stunned to find a giant tortoise on a nearby beach, El Comercio reported. According to the daily the turtle is thought to have traveled from its natural habitat in the Galapagos Islands.
The turtle was reportedly found on the shores by a municipal worker at 6 a.m., near Puerto Eten's old harbor.

Upon inspecting the area, authorities found that the turtle had made a nest and laid its eggs.

"We had not seen a specimen like this, on our shores, for many years," said Jaime Contreras, Mayor of Puerto Eten.

"They are very rare species," he said, adding that he had ordered district staff to monitor the site, in order to prevent beachgoers and birds from breaking the eggs.

According to El Comercio, the turtle and its nest have attracted several visitors, who are awaiting the arrival of more turtles. The turtle's eggs, the daily said, are expected to hatch in about three months.