[OANNES Foro] ICSF DC Weekly News Alert from 30 December 2013 to 03 January 2014

ICSF Documentation Centre icsfdcnews en gmail.com
Mar Ene 7 03:10:20 PST 2014

*International Collective in Support of Fishworkers (ICSF) Trust
Documentation Centre Weekly News Alert 30 December 2013 to 03 January 2014*

Dear Subscriber,

Please find below web links of ICSF DC Weekly News Alert from 30 December
2013 to 03 January 2014.

*Andaman and Nicobar islands: Administration sounds caution for fishing
vessel owners Andaman Sheekha*
http://www.andamansheekha.com/2013/12/28/administration-sounds-caution-for-fishing-vessel-owners/

All the Masters, Owners, Traders, Fishers and Crew of registered and
licensed Fishing vessels/boats are once more reminded that hiring out of
Fishing vessels/boats for any other purpose such as tourism, transportation
is an offence and will attract cancellation of Fishing licence in
accordance with the rules in force vide term and condition no...

* Jammu and Kashmir: Water Tiger: Kashmir Loses Mahseer, Its pride fish*
http://freepresskashmir.com/kashmir-loses-its-pride-fish-mahseer-071330/

The Mahseer, known among Kashmiri anglers as “tiger in the water”, all but
vanished after Pakistan constructed a dam in the late 1960s that stopped
the fish from migrating to India. Earlier conservationists said they were
breeding the Mahseer and hope to release them in rivers in Kashmir. The
programme which was the result of a peace process between India and
Pakistan that has led to a drop in violence in the region, failed
bitterly...

* Manipur: Fisheries dept proposes fish import from Myanmar to meet
shortage*
http://kanglaonline.com/2013/12/fisheries-dept-proposes-fish-import-from-myanmar-to-meet-shortage/

Despite the Fishery department’s endeavor to maximize fish production in
the state, there still is an enormous gap in production and demand. The
state fish farmers have not been able to produce enough due to lack of
knowledge of scientific fish culture, according to a concerned official of
the department...

*Uttar Pradesh: Fisheries Department, Uttar Pradesh notified recruitment
for 98 posts 2013*
http://www.jagranjosh.com/articles/fisheries-department-uttar-pradesh-notified-recruitment-for-98-posts-2013-1388147158-1

Fisheries Department, Government of Uttar Pradesh invited application for
recruitment to the post of Fisheries Development Officer.  The candidates
eligible for the post can apply through prescribed format before 14 January
2014...

*Gujarat: Pakistan, India exchange list of prisoners*
http://gulfnews.com/news/world/pakistan/pakistan-india-exchange-list-of-prisoners-1.1272862

A bi-annual exchange of prisoners’ lists between Pakistan and India on
Wednesday showed that nearly 700 citizens, mostly fishermen, were
languishing in jails. Pakistan and India on Wednesday exchanged the lists
of prisoners in each other’s custody...

*Maharashtra: MIDC factories are polluting water bodies in Navi Mumbai:
Activists*
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/navi-mumbai/MIDC-factories-are-polluting-water-bodies-in-Navi-Mumbai-Activists/articleshow/28123396.cms

Residents and activists have alleged that industries in MIDC are polluting
the Kasardi river in Kharghar.They have written to the Maharashtra
Pollution Control Board (MPCB) to investigate their allegations. They will
also protest at the MPCB offices on Monday. Fishermen and residents noticed
that the river in Kharghar was unfit for consumption and trade...

* Goa: Are fishermen right in demanding a ban on water sports at Arambol?*
http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-12-28/goa/45651795_1_water-sports-arambol-fish-fry

The Arambol estuary is host to fish and shrimp that come there to breed.
Motorboats create loud sounds and vibrations that force the fish further
into the sea, creating a loss for the traditional fishermen. If the
government allows water sports to continue along Arambol beach, traditional
fishermen should be offered an alternative that is beneficial to them...

*Kerala: Kerala marine killings: 'I don't want my sons to go to sea, they
must study'*
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/kerala-marine-killings-i-dont-want-my-sons-to-go-to-sea-they-must-study/1212882/

Every morning at around 6, Dora walks down the narrow lane outside her
house to the local cemetery where her husband Valentile alias Jelestine is
buried. This February, it will be two years since Jelestine and another
fisherman Ajeesh Pinku were killed in firing by Italian marines
Massimiliano Latorre and Salvatore Girone onboard mercantile vessel Enrica
Lexie...

*Kerala:  Kollam fishermen safe thanks to a community Radio*
http://www.yentha.com/news/view/4/kollam-fishermen-safe-thanks-to-a-community-radio-

A community radio has taken the initiative in Kollam - arguably a first in
India - to disseminate information that can save lives. Why not others asks
Dinesh Kumar There are only a few professions in thich the workers put
their life at risk. Fishermen do just that when they go out to the sea,
sometimes without knowing what is going to happen out there. After all
their lives are dependent on the weather...

* Tamil Nadu: 26 more fishermen held*
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/rameswaram-fishing-association-claims-more-arrests-by-sri-lankan-navy/article5530586.ece

Total number of fishermen in Sri Lankan prisons is now 314. Close on the
heels of arresting 40 fishermen – 22 from the coastal villages of
Pudukottai and 18 from Pamban early this week, the Sri Lankan Navy took
into custody at least 26 Mandapam fishermen on Thursday, when they were
fishing on the high seas south off Danushkodi...

* Andhra Pradesh: Blaze destroys shanties of fishermen in Andhra Pradesh*
http://www.ndtv.com/article/south/blaze-destroys-shanties-of-fishermen-in-andhra-pradesh-465996

Rajahmundry, Andhra Pradesh:  As many as 200 thatched houses belonging to
fishermen were gutted in fire in Dummulapeta area in Kakinada town in
Andhra Pradesh, police said today. However, nobody was injured in the
incident that occurred last night. Police said the blaze swept through as
many as 200 shanties housing over 500 families of local fishermen...

*Odisha: Odisha, Iffco in pact for mobile advisory services to fishermen*
http://www.business-standard.com/article/economy-policy/odisha-iffco-in-pact-for-mobile-advisory-services-to-fishermen-114010200835_1.html

The state fisheries & animal resources department today inked an agreement
with Iffco (Indian Farmers’ Fertilizer Cooperative Ltd) Kisan Sanchar Ltd
to implement a new scheme, ‘Empowering fishermen through mobile advisory
services and establishment of toll free call centre for fisheries extension
service’...

* India: Use fishermen to map coastal yields'*
http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-12-29/goa/45674627_1_fishing-ban-fishermen-hilsa

Samir K Brahmachari, director general, CSIR, has urged NIO researchers to
use fishermen to map out high-yield and low-yield fishing sites around
India's coast. "NIO should enlist fishermen for this study by giving them
GPS. When a fisherman gets a big catch he should inform the scientists who
will then measure parameters like salinity, temperature, biodiversity etc
of that particular area to create a map of high-productive zones...

* India: Key indicators of drinking water, sanitation, hygiene and housing
condition in India*
http://www.indiaenvironmentportal.org.in/content/385612/key-indicators-of-drinking-water-sanitation-hygiene-and-housing-condition-in-india-july-2012-december-2012/

59.4 per cent and 8.8 per cent households in rural India and urban India,
respectively, had no latrine facilities, says this 69th round NSSO survey
report on drinking water, sanitation, hygiene and housing condition in
India...

*Sri Lanka: Fishy loss over Rs 600m*
http://www.thesundayleader.lk/2013/12/29/fishy-loss-over-rs-600m/

Sri Lanka’s fishing industry is losing over Rs. 600 million as a result of
poaching by Indian fishermen and licensed fishing by Chinese trawlers.
Speaking to The Sunday Leader the convenor of the National Fisheries
Solidarity Movement, Herman Kumara said that in addition to the Indian
fishing trawlers poaching in Sri Lankan waters, the Chinese trawlers are
exploiting local fishing resources with the approval of the government...

*Pakistan: Fishing operations decelerate due to gusty winds  *
http://www.brecorder.com/agriculture-a-allied/183/1139628/

The first spell of gusty winds slowed down fishing operations widely with
toiling fishermen prolonging their hunting trips to accumulate maximum
catch in hostile winter weather. "Gusty Siberian winds reduce oxygen level
at seas, which pull fish species to coasts every year," said a fisheries
expert at WWF-Pakistan, Muhammad Moazzam Khan, on Wednesday...

*Bangladesh: Fishermen are in a sorry plight as fishes perish on the decks
of their boats*
http://www.thefinancialexpress-bd.com/2014/01/01/11569

Bangladesh is a moderate Muslim country. It has emerged as a role model for
many least developed countries in peaceful co-existence of diverse
religious, cultural and ethnic groups. Inter-religious ties and amity are
strong and peaceful in Bangladesh. The independence of Bangladesh in 1971
is more significant than that of many other countries of South Asia...

*Myanmar: Japan researches lifestyles of Myanmar’s sea gypsies  *
http://www.elevenmyanmar.com/culture-lifestyle/4623-japan-researches-lifestyles-of-myanmar-s-sea-gypsies

A Japanese university has begun researching the lifestyles of Salon
nationals, also known as Myanmar’s sea gypsies, including health,
education, and intellectual development in in southern Myanmar’s Myeik
Archipelago. As one of the country’s nationally recognized ethnic groups,
the Salon roam the blue waters off the Tanintharyi coast using fragile
crafts as their homes...

*West Bengal: A strong voice was raised against unscientific and
anti-fisher Hilsa Conservation directives in West Bengal in the IUCN
meeting at Bangkok *
Source: Dakshinbanga Matsyajibi Forum

A strong voice was raised against unscientific and anti-fisher Hilsa
Conservation directives in West Bengal in the IUCN meeting at Bangkok. IUCN
is running a project named “Ecosystems FOR LIFE : Bangladesh and India” to
support conservation of fish resources especially Hilsa – the famous and
extremely popular migratory fish in India (basically West Bengal) and
Bangladesh. A consultation was held in Bangkok on 10th December 2013 on
Sustainable Livelihood Options for Fishers : Opportunities and Challenges,
as part of the project activities. Dakshinbanga Matsyajibi Forum (DMF)
advisor and Secretary of DISHA Sasanka Deb was invited to present fisher
peoples' perspective on the issue. IUCN has been instrumental in supporting
development of Hilsa Conservation Directives in West Bengal and Bangladesh.

The Fisheries Department of West Bengal has issued the following directives
for Hilsa Conservation in West Bengal under the Marine Fishing Regulation
Act and the Inland Fishing Regulation Act of West Bengal -

   1. No mono-filament net of mesh size less than 90 mm for Hilsa fishing
   and less than 40 mm for other fishing will be used.
   2. Hilsa fish of less than 23 cms will not be caught, stored or sold.
   3. Bottom trawling is banned upto 12 nautical miles from the shore.
   4. Hilsa fishing is completely banned in the period from 5 days before
   full moon to 5 days after full moon during 15th September to 24th October
   every year.
   5. Hilsa sanctuaries are declared in large parts of Hooghly (Ganga)
   river (2/3rd of its length in West Bengal) and at the mouths of rivers
   Matla, Raymangal and Thakuran in Sundarban. In these sanctuaries fishing is
   banned from June to August and from October to December every year.
   6. Hilsa fishing is banned within 5 sq. kilometers of Farakka barrage
   round the year.
   7. These directives were imposed without any consultation with lakhs of
   artisanal fishers who fish in these waters for livelihood and without any
   arrangement of alternative livelihood for them.

In this backdrop Dakshinbanga Matsyajibi Forum (DMF) advisor and Secretary
of DISHA Sasanka Deb was invited to present fisher peoples' perspective on
the issue. While welcoming the concern for Hilsa conservation Sasanka Deb
raised vehement objection to the manner in which the restrictions were
imposed from above without making any assessment of loss of livelihood,
without any consultation with fishers’ groups or organisations, without
even any mention of alternative livelihood.

He said that the only measure that deserves full support is the ban on
bottom trawling upto 12 nautical miles into the sea. He pointed out that
the multiple causes apart from ‘overfishing’ viz., water pollution due to
municipal and industrial discharge, destruction of mangroves, unscrupulous
tourism, agricultural wash-offs, over-siltation in the estuaries and above
all climate change which are  responsible for depletion of fish stock have
to be addressed. Without addressing these causes, only banning or
restricting fishing cannot improve the situation. He also observed that the
mesh size restrictions of 90 mm for Hilsa and 40 mm for other fishes is
ridiculous and will not work as the fishes cannot choose the nets. The
permitted size of Hilsa (23 cm) to be caught is also detrimental in terms
of conservation as the minimum length for maturity of female Hilsa is 30
cms.

He further observed that alternative livelihood options given to the
fishers must match with their way of life and be acceptable to them. The
experience of the fishers’ organizations was that the bans are generally
uniform but the options for alternative livelihood are selective, scheme
specific and mostly dependent on fund availability. He then cited the
example of Sundarban in West Bengal where thousands of fishers
traditionally used to fish in a sustainable manner in the rivers but have
been prohibited unilaterally by the forest department since 1970s in the
name of conservation. The restrictions were imposed in a completely illegal
manner. The number of passes issued for restricted fishing does not satisfy
even a minute fraction of the demand. Even those who are permitted face a
lot of harassment and atrocities by forest guards. In spite of repeated
appeals and protests the situation has not changed at all. Even after seven
years of enactment of Forest Rights Act 2006, the rights of the fishers of
Sundarban has not been recognised. If a large number of people are
compelled to live such “illegal” lives, one cannot expect responsible
behavior from them. Suggested recommendations  were – empowering fishing
communities and continuing dialogues with fishers’ organisations on
conservation issues, effective measures to restrict the multiple causes of
stock depletion, realistic approach in issuing ban and restriction
notifications, coordination among the related departments, states and
adjacent countries, motivating the fishers for self-regulation etc.

*India: N.D.Koli Passed away*
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/greenyouth/scuF-Z8rGWg/hx39phHO0BAJ

N.D. Koli our senior and veteran leader of the fishing community is passed
away today at 11am (Wednesday 1 January 2014). He was the General Secretary
of National Fishworkers Forum (NFF) and was instrumental in the growth NFF
to the national level. He attended the last general body meeting in Mumbai
on 6th of December 2013 even though he was sick at his old age because of
his affection towards the NFF and the fishing community. He also during his
last visit to the NFF general body, he blessed the office bearers and
leaders of NFF whole heartedly.

NFF office bearers heartfelt condolences to the bereaved family of our
great leader N.D.Koli.

M.Ilango (Chairperson, NFF)
Narendra R. Patil (General Secretary, NFF)

*India: N.D. Koli passed  away*
http://www.nffindia.org/ndkolipassedaway.php

M.Ilango (Chairperson, NFF) and Narendra R.Patil (General Secretary,NFF).
N.D.Koli our senior and veteran leader of the fishing community is passed
away today at 11am. He was the General Secretary of National Fishworkers
Forum (NFF) and was instrumental in the growth of NFF to the national
level. He attended the last general body meeting in Mumbai on 6th of
December 2013 even though he was sick at his old age because of his
affection towards the NFF and the fishing community. He also during his
last visit to the NFF general body, he blessed the office bearers and
leaders of NFF whole heartedly.NFF office bearers heartfelt condolences to
the bereaved family of our great leader N.D.Koli

*Thomas Kocherry:* My condolences and prayers.  I am with his wife and
children and friends in this hour of sorrows. He was an officer in the
Maharastra Government. Even during his service he was working for the
fisher people. After his retirement he joined the NFF. And he was working
fulltime for the NFF. He represented World Forum of Fisher Peoples (WFFP)
at the United Nations. As NFF General Secretary he was ruthless in his
reporting, communication and filing the documents. He was methodical in
communicating the matters to the Political Leaders. After undergoing severe
heart attack, he was taking rest. Almost every month he used to call me and
enquired about the health. We lost a great friend of fisher people. Yes he
was proud of being called Koli. May he rest in peace.

*Muhammad Ali Shah - WFFP (Pakistan): *Oh my God; this is big loss for the
fisher people of India and NFF. My condolences and prayers with his family
and all the NFF members.

*Naseegh Jaffar Mogamad - WFFP (South Africa): *This is very sad news. Koli
was a leader in the NFF and also in the WFFP. I remember him to be the
first NFF leader that I met and he showed clear commitment, knowledge and
fighting spirit for small scale fishers. He was a true leader. Please
convey our deepest sympathy and support to his family, NFF and the small
scale fishing community of India. We will continue to  support their
struggles.

*Saeed Baloch - WFFP (Pakistan):* Very sorry for sad demise N D Koli, perso
gone but struggle organization will continue make him alive, hope NFF will
sustain ND Koli death with mass mobilization. stand with same feeling to
NFF.

*Herman Kumara - NAFSO /WFFP (Sri Lanka)*: We convey our condolence to
Koli's family and also to NFF. I see we lost great friend of fisher people
not only in India, but also all over the world. Being the General Secretary
during Harekrishna Debnath's tenure of Chairperson he was a great help to
NFF and also WFFP as a whole. We definitely need more friends like N.D.Koli
in our present context.

*J John (New Delhi): *My heartfelt condolences! We have lost a towering
leader of the fishing community. In his genuine unassuming style he has
been contributing to the articulation of the perspectives of the fishing
community and in sustaining the organisation. Our greatest tribute to him
will be in consolidating and conserving the movement in its diversity.

*Sasanka Dev:* It is very sad. It is also very disturbing news for NFF
members and supporters. Our heart-felt condolence to his family and larger
family like NFF

*Chandrika, Chennai – ICSF: * It is indeed a very big loss. He devoted so
many years of his life to the fishing community, working with great
dedication and commitment. We will always remember him for his hard work,
warmth and good nature. In solidarity with his wonderful and caring family.

*V.Vivekanandan – FishMarc:  *When Rambhau Patil called me late in the
morning, I assumed that he called to wish me a happy new year. Instead it
was with the sad news of the demise of N.D.Koli. I felt the loss acutely as
I had missed the opportunity of meeting him last month at the NFF GBM when
I missed the first day of the meeting. N.D.Koli played an extremely
important role in NFF for more than a decade providing valuable inputs in
both organisational strategy as well as administration. He was a solid
pillar on whom the Chairperson could depend. His absence in our day to day
work was very much felt in the last few years when illness forced him to
virtually retire from active NFF work. His passing away leaves a huge void.
Let us remember his contributions to the fishermen's movement and make a
fresh commitment to fight for the causes that were close to his heart and
ours.

Copyright © NFF.

*India: Shri. N. D. Koli, Ex Joint Secretary of General Administrative
Section of the State Government and Senior Fisher Leader passed away at
11:30 am yesterday (Wednesday 1 January 2014) at Shivaji Park, Dader,
Mumbai at the age of 80 years*

Mr. Koli was known as a capable administrator. He shouldered several
successful movements with renowned Fisher Leader late Shri. Bhai Bandarkar
and Father Thomas Kocherry ational Fisher Leader. These movements include
movement against the foreign ships, which not only compelled the central
government to appoint Murari Committee and cancel the Deep-sea Factory
Tollers Policy but also as per the 04th February 1983 G. R.

The government free lands are made available for the fishers in the state.
When Late Shri. Bhai Bandarkar was a member of Parliament, this bill was
presented in the parliament for approval and Shri N. D. Koli had a major
role in getting this bill passed. Although since last 10 years Shri. N. D.
Koli has not been actively participating as he underwent a Bypass Surgery,
he used to guide Chairman, Shri. Rambhau Patil by being continuously in
contact with him.

Shri. N. D. Koli was General Secretary of National Fishworks Forum and Akhi
Koli Samaj Parishad for 9 years. He left behind his wife, 1 son, 2
daughters and grandchildren in his family. With the demise of Shri. N. D.
Koli the fisher community faces great loss.

Deep condolence for Shri N. D. Koli.
Kiran Koli
Mumbai Ditrict Chairman
Source: Translated from Marathi by Sanjay Kulkarni

Disclaimer

The materials comprising the DC News Alerts are provided by the
Documentation Centre of International Collective in Support of Fishworkers
(ICSF) Trust, as a service to its readers and users of its website on an
"as-is, as-available" basis for informational purposes only.. ICSF assumes
no responsibility for any errors or omissions in these Alerts or in the
materials they contain. The opinions and positions expressed in these
stories are those of the authors/sources concerned and do not necessarily
represent the official views of ICSF.  This message has been received
through email from ICSF DC.

To subscribe to this ICSF DC Weekly News Alert please write to
icsfdcnews en gmail.com

To unsubscribe please email icsfdcnews en gmail.com