[OANNES Foro] Threats and protection status to seabirds in Peru

Raul Sanchez Scaglioni resnsc en yahoo.com
Dom Oct 4 22:29:11 PDT 2009

Threats and protection status to seabirds in Peru
Liliana Ayala1, 2 & Raúl Sanchez-Scaglioni1, 3
1Asociacion Peruana para la Conservación de la Naturaleza (APECO)
2Independencia 667, Lima 32. Perú
3Las Violetas 369. Urb. Linda Vista de Monterrico. Lima 3. Perú
leaayala en gmail.com
eymard en speedy.com.pe

Abstract
The Peru Current System hosts one third of the world’s species of seabird. In Peru breeds 18 and it have been registered 101 seabird species.  Here, we discussed about some threats on seabirds and compared the list of threatened seabirds recognized by the Peruvian law with some lists of several organisms. This paper is based on a review of national and international articles. We compared the list of threatened seabirds recognized by Peruvian law (DS 034-2004-AG: onward DS 034), IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature), CMS (The Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species of Wild Animals), ACAP (The Agreement on the Conservation of Albatrosses and Petrels) and CITES (The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora). According to DS 034, 13 species are threatened and IUCN considered 18 species. CMS considered threatened 22 and DS 034 only 4.  Six species of albatrosses and 5 of petrels are
 threatened according to ACAP, meanwhile DS 034 considered 2 species of albatrosses and 2 of petrels. CITES and DS 034 considered the Humboldt Penguin, Spheniscus humboldti, as threatened.  Besides, we recognized some threats on seabirds: Intentional catch (for human consumption, as pets, “to protect” guano birds), habitat loss (nesting areas loss due to guano extraction, nesting and resting areas loss due to growth of cities and resting areas loss due to oil exploration), incidental catch (by gillnet fishery, artisanal longline fishery and dynamite fishing), competition for food (with anchovy fishery, intertidal harvest and sea shellfish culture), aliens (cats, rats and mice) and human disturbance (by tourism and fishers). We suggest that Waved albatross, Phoebastria irrorata, would be listed as a Critical Endangered and the Humboldt Penguin and Peruvian Tern Sternula lorata, as Endangered species for Peruvian law. Peruvian diving petrel,
 Pelecanoides garnotii, would be included in the ACAP list. We have identified that Humboldt penguin and the guano birds faced more threats than other seabirds. However, it has to say that the same threats on an endangered species like Peruvian Tern, with low numbers, would be more impact.
Key words: Threatened species, marine conservation, guano birds, Peruvian Tern, Humboldt Penguin.

Saludos cordiales,

Raùl E. Sànchez Scaglioni