[OANNES Foro] En el Peru se manejaba bien el recurso merluza

Luis Icochea luisicochea en yahoo.com
Vie Mayo 4 08:55:10 PDT 2012

Estimados amigos: Agradezco su propuesta pero por favor dejenme trabajar en lo que me gusta que es la parte tecnico cientifica operativa (no de escritorio). Les comunico con beneplacito que el recurso merluza esta en su mejor momento y la Captura Por Unidad de Esfuerzo (CPUE) de las arrastreras merluceras esta por encima de las 30 t/h y la moda de la merluza es entre 32 y 33 en numero pero en peso las merluzas por encima de los 35 cms predominan. Hoy todas las embarcaciones que salieron a pescar estan regresando totalmente "completas" a Puerto antes de mediodia.
EN realidad queria adicionarles dos documentos donde expertos extranjeros recien se han dado cuenta que las vedas largas del bacalao no les han servido para la recuperacion del bacalao que coincidentemente casi desaparecio el mismo año que desaparecieron las merluzas con tallas mayores a 35 cms y han llegado a la conclusion que los arenques, capelin y otras especies se comen los huevos de bacalao aparte que las focas grises impiden el retorno del bacalao a sus areas tradicionales y hasta recomiendan una "saca" de focas del 70% en una zona del Golfo de St Lawrence . Asimismo que su no recuperacion no esta relacionada al cambio de dieta. En el Peru no seguimos esas recomendaciones de extranjeros que en sus propios paises no han podido manejar a sus especies y han querido darnos catedra aca en Peru.
El texto esta en ingles pero proviene de un articulo cientifico de la prestigiosa revista NATURE y otra del journal of Fisheries Research. Lo que me da gusto es que esa teoria la venimos repitiendo y aplicando en Peru desde el 97 y gracias a eso con excepcion de 2 años no se hicieron vedas muy largas de la merluza. En este foro se ha escrito varias veces al respecto.
Atentamente
Luis Icochea

04 May, 2012 - Two teams of federal scientists are clashing over their interpretations of why Atlantic cod are struggling to recover after the population’s devastating collapse in the early 1990s. The debate raising new questions about the best way to sustain the resource in the future.
Less than a year ago, a study published by Department of Fisheries and Oceans researchers highlighted a promising rebound in the species — for generations an economic main-stay for Atlantic Canada — and blamed the delayed recovery on an explosion in the number of forage fish — prey normally eaten by adult cod — and their ravenous consumption of cod larvae.
That study, published in the journal Nature, concluded that a “predator-prey reversal” meant fish typically preyed on by adult cod — such as herring and capelin — become so numerous they began to wipe out cod larvae and retard the recovery of cod, protected by a fishing moratorium since 1993.
But research published by another team of DFO scientists this week discounts that and suggests that grey seals — targeted for a proposed cull aimed at bolstering cod stocks in the Gulf of St. Lawrence — may have postponed the cod’s comeback in other Atlantic waters.
Scientists butt heads on cause of cod's sluggish recovery

Grey seals, not forage fish, to blame for delay, new study says

By Randy Boswell, Postmedia News May 4, 2012

[...]
The new findings by co-authors Douglas Swain and Robert Mohn "suggest the delay in recovery of Atlantic cod on the eastern Scotian Shelf could be attributed to increased predation by grey seals or other governing factors and not the effect of forage fish as previously thought," according to study overview released by the Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences.
"Swain and Mohn provide provocative scientific evidence challenging the commonly held belief that species interactions with forage fish have impaired the recovery of Atlantic cod on the eastern Scotian Shelf during the 15-year fishing moratorium," journal editor Rolf Vine-brooke said.
"Understanding the causes of these severe declines in productivity," Swain and Mohn said in their journal article, "is a critical first step in determining what additional management actions, if any, would be appropriate to promote the recovery of these once important resources."
As for the earlier research identifying forage fish as the culprit, Swain and Mohn said their findings "provided no sup-port for this hypothesis" and that changes in the cod population "cannot be attributed to an effect of forage fishes."
The co-authors are not conclusive about the cause of the cod's slow recovery or its recent rebound. And they admit that "most modelling studies have concluded that predation by grey seals is not an important component" of high cod mortality.
But they do point to another recent study in the journal Fisheries Research - by a third team of DFO researchers, Halifax-based scientists Robert O'Boyle and Michael Sinclair - that applied a different analysis to show that grey seals likely were responsible for keeping cod numbers so low for the past 15 years.
Swain and Mohn further speculate that the recent rise in cod numbers may result from changes in seals' feeding activity, or changes in cod behaviour to avoid being eaten.
Kenneth Frank, co-author of the research that blamed for-age fish, said he welcomes challenges to that hypothesis.
And he noted that, "it is good to see the authors agree with our previous findings that cod are starting to recover on the eastern Scotian Shelf. This had been a highly contentious issue which now seems to be shifting toward a consensus view of early stages of cod recovery."
Frank disputed Swain and Mohn's conclusion that forage fish played no role in the cod's slow recovery and said the latest study used an "invalid index" to measure trends in cod reproduction.
In September, Fisheries Resource Conservation Council recommended in a report to federal Fisheries Minister Keith Ashfield that the government should cull up to 70 per cent of the grey seals in the southern Gulf of St. Lawrence "in order to test the hypothesis that predation by grey seals is the major factor preventing recovery of ground fish stocks in that area."