[OANNES Foro] Artificial Marine Micro-Reserves Networks (AMMRNs): an innovative approach to conserve marine littoral biodiversity and protect endangered species

Mario Cabrejos casal en infotex.com.pe
Lun Mayo 19 19:38:31 PDT 2014

Marine Ecology

Article first published online: 16 MAY 2014

DOI: 10.1111/maec.12167

Artificial Marine Micro-Reserves Networks (AMMRNs): an innovative approach
to conserve marine littoral biodiversity and protect endangered species

José C. García-Gómez1, José M. Guerra-García1,*, Free Espinosa1, Manuel J.
Maestre1, Georgina Rivera-Ingraham1,2,Darren Fa3, Alexander R. González1,
Aurora Ruiz-Tabares1 and Carlos M. López-Fé1

1Laboratorio de Biología Marina, Facultad de Biología, Universidad de
Sevilla, Seville, Spain2Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine
Research, Bremerhaven, Germany3The Gibraltar Museum, Gibraltar, UK.*
Correspondence E-mail:  <mailto:jmguerra en us.es> jmguerra en us.es

1.

Abstract

Coastal engineering works, especially the outer breakwaters of ports where
environmental conditions are usually good, often constitute new habitats for
marine littoral species. Their potential indirect contribution to the
regeneration and conservation of protected species opens up a new
perspective in protection of marine biodiversity. This is particularly true
when these works harbour, as we show here, important reproductive
populations of species that are threatened or even in danger of extinction.
We provide integrated data on protected marine species in Southern Iberia
established on different substrata (quarried dolomitic rocks, concrete cubic
blocks, concrete tetrapods and vertical concrete walls) that are used in the
construction of artificial levees that could potentially be Artificial
Marine Micro-Reserves (AMMRs). We also present the first evidence of the
‘reserve effect’ in potential AMMRs and we discuss the need for the creation
of AMMRs including their effective networking (AMMRNs), supporting data for
which has been observed by studying coastal facilities subjected to strict
access restrictions (for security reasons, not conservation). These
facilities have acted as valuable proxies and, in reality, potentially act
as AMMRs, as well as having a role in helping to detect and control invasive
species. We discuss the ecological engineering aspects related to the design
and type of materials used in coastal constructions with a view to aiding
the integration of these into existing coastal ecosystems as well as
promoting greater settlement of species and therefore increases in
biodiversity. Finally, the environmental implications of AMMRNs within the
future implementation strategy of the Water Framework Directive 2000/60 EC
are also discussed.

---