[OANNES Foro] Basin-scale transport of hydrothermal dissolved metals across the South Pacific Ocean

Mario Cabrejos casal en infotex.com.pe
Jue Jul 9 09:00:38 PDT 2015

Nature 523, 200-203

doi:10.1038/nature14577

Published online 08 July 2015

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v523/n7559/full/nature14577.html?WT.ec_
id=NATURE-20150709
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v523/n7559/full/nature14577.html?WT.ec
_id=NATURE-20150709&spMailingID=49054266&spUserID=MjA1NTE2ODQxMAS2&spJobID=7
20986702&spReportId=NzIwOTg2NzAyS0>
&spMailingID=49054266&spUserID=MjA1NTE2ODQxMAS2&spJobID=720986702&spReportId
=NzIwOTg2NzAyS0

Basin-scale transport of hydrothermal dissolved metals across the South
Pacific Ocean

<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v523/n7559/full/nature14577.html?WT.ec
_id=NATURE-20150709&spMailingID=49054266&spUserID=MjA1NTE2ODQxMAS2&spJobID=7
20986702&spReportId=NzIwOTg2NzAyS0#auth-1> Joseph A. Resing1,
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v523/n7559/full/nature14577.html?WT.ec
_id=NATURE-20150709&spMailingID=49054266&spUserID=MjA1NTE2ODQxMAS2&spJobID=7
20986702&spReportId=NzIwOTg2NzAyS0#auth-2> Peter N. Sedwick2,
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v523/n7559/full/nature14577.html?WT.ec
_id=NATURE-20150709&spMailingID=49054266&spUserID=MjA1NTE2ODQxMAS2&spJobID=7
20986702&spReportId=NzIwOTg2NzAyS0#auth-3> Christopher R. German3,
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v523/n7559/full/nature14577.html?WT.ec
_id=NATURE-20150709&spMailingID=49054266&spUserID=MjA1NTE2ODQxMAS2&spJobID=7
20986702&spReportId=NzIwOTg2NzAyS0#auth-4> William J. Jenkins3,
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v523/n7559/full/nature14577.html?WT.ec
_id=NATURE-20150709&spMailingID=49054266&spUserID=MjA1NTE2ODQxMAS2&spJobID=7
20986702&spReportId=NzIwOTg2NzAyS0#auth-5> James W. Moffett4,
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v523/n7559/full/nature14577.html?WT.ec
_id=NATURE-20150709&spMailingID=49054266&spUserID=MjA1NTE2ODQxMAS2&spJobID=7
20986702&spReportId=NzIwOTg2NzAyS0#auth-6> Bettina M. Sohst2 &
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v523/n7559/full/nature14577.html?WT.ec
_id=NATURE-20150709&spMailingID=49054266&spUserID=MjA1NTE2ODQxMAS2&spJobID=7
20986702&spReportId=NzIwOTg2NzAyS0#auth-7> Alessandro Tagliabue5

1 Joint Institute for the Study of the Atmosphere and the Ocean, University
of Washington and NOAA-PMEL, 7600 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, Washington
98115, USA 2 Department of Ocean, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Old
Dominion University, Norfolk, Virginia 23529, USA 3 Woods Hole Oceanographic
Institution, Woods Hole, Massachusetts 02543, USA 4 Department of Biological
Sciences, University of Southern California, 3616 Trousdale Parkway #AHF204,
Los Angeles, California 90089, USA 5 Department of Earth, Ocean and
Ecological Sciences, School of Environmental Sciences, University of
Liverpool, 4 Brownlow Street, Liverpool L69 3GP, UK

Hydrothermal venting along mid-ocean ridges exerts an important control on
the chemical composition of sea water by serving as a major source or sink
for a number of trace elements in the ocean
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v523/n7559/full/nature14577.html#ref1>
1,
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v523/n7559/full/nature14577.html#ref2>
2,
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v523/n7559/full/nature14577.html#ref3>
3. Of these, iron has received considerable attention because of its role as
an essential and often limiting nutrient for primary production in regions
of the ocean that are of critical importance for the global carbon cycle
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v523/n7559/full/nature14577.html#ref4>
4. It has been thought that most of the dissolved iron discharged by
hydrothermal vents is lost from solution close to ridge-axis sources
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v523/n7559/full/nature14577.html#ref2>
2,
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v523/n7559/full/nature14577.html#ref5>
5 and is thus of limited importance for ocean biogeochemistry
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v523/n7559/full/nature14577.html#ref6>
6. This long-standing view is challenged by recent studies which suggest
that stabilization of hydrothermal dissolved iron may facilitate its
long-range oceanic transport
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v523/n7559/full/nature14577.html#ref7>
7,
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v523/n7559/full/nature14577.html#ref8>
8,
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v523/n7559/full/nature14577.html#ref9>
9,
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v523/n7559/full/nature14577.html#ref10
> 10. Such transport has been subsequently inferred from spatially limited
oceanographic observations
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v523/n7559/full/nature14577.html#ref12
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v523/n7559/full/nature14577.html#ref13
> 13. Here we report data from the US GEOTRACES Eastern Pacific Zonal
Transect (EPZT) that demonstrate lateral transport of hydrothermal dissolved
iron, manganese, and aluminium from the southern East Pacific Rise (SEPR)
several thousand kilometres westward across the South Pacific Ocean.
Dissolved iron exhibits nearly conservative (that is, no loss from solution
during transport and mixing) behaviour in this hydrothermal plume, implying
a greater longevity in the deep ocean than previously assumed
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v523/n7559/full/nature14577.html#ref14
> 14. Based on our observations, we estimate a global hydrothermal dissolved
iron input of three to four gigamoles per year to the ocean interior, which
is more than fourfold higher than previous estimates
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v523/n7559/full/nature14577.html#ref7>
7,
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v523/n7559/full/nature14577.html#ref11
> 11,
<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v523/n7559/full/nature14577.html#ref14
> 14. Complementary simulations with a global-scale ocean biogeochemical
model suggest that the observed transport of hydrothermal dissolved iron
requires some means of physicochemical stabilization and indicate that
hydrothermally derived iron sustains a large fraction of Southern Ocean
export production.

Cruise track and station locations.

Figure 1: Cruise track and station locations.

The US GEOTRACES Eastern Pacific Zonal Transect

(GEOTRACES cruise GP16) was undertaken on

RV Thomas G. Thompson cruise 303 from

25 October to 20 December 2013.

Station locations are shown as yellow circles

with station numbers in white.

---