[OANNES Foro] Sea urchins suffer deformities from plastic chemicals

Mario Cabrejos cabrejosmario en gmail.com
Vie Feb 19 08:46:53 PST 2021

Environmental Pollution
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/02697491>

Volume 269
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/02697491/269/supp/C>, 15
January 2021, 115744

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2020.115744

*Developmental toxicity of plastic leachates on the sea
urchin Paracentrotus lividus*

Flora Rendell-Bhattia
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0269749120364332#!>
Periklis
Paganosb
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0269749120364332#!> Anna
Pouchc
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0269749120364332#!>
Christopher
Mitchella
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0269749120364332#!>
Salvatore
D’Aniellob
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0269749120364332#!> Brendan
J. Godleya
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0269749120364332#!> Ksenia
Pazdroc
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0269749120364332#!> Maria
Ina Arnoneb
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0269749120364332#!> Eva
Jimenez-Guria
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0269749120364332#!>

a)Centre for Ecology and Conservation, College of Life and Environmental
Sciences, University of Exeter Cornwall Campus, Penryn, Cornwall, TR10 9EZ,
United Kingdom b) Biology and Evolution of Marine Organisms (BEOM),
Stazione Zoologica Anton Dohrn, Villa Comunale, 80121, Naples, Italy
c)Institute of Oceanology, Polish Academy of Sciences, Sopot, Poland

*Abstract*

Microplastic pollution has become ubiquitous, affecting a wide variety of
biota. Although microplastics are known to alter the development of a range
of marine invertebrates, no studies provide a detailed morphological
characterisation of the developmental defects. Likewise, the developmental
toxicity of chemicals leached from plastic particles is understudied. The
consequences of these developmental effects are likely underestimated, and
the effects on ecosystems are unknown. Using the sea urchin *Paracentrotus
lividus* as a model, we studied the effects of leachates of three forms of
plastic pellet: new industrial pre-production plastic nurdles, beached
pre-production nurdles, and floating filters, known as biobeads, also
retrieved from the environment. Our chemical analyses show that leachates
from beached pellets (biobead and nurdle pellets) and highly plasticised
industrial pellets (PVC) contain polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and
polychlorinated biphenyls, which are known to be detrimental to development
and other life stages of animals. *We also demonstrate that these
microplastic leachates elicit severe, consistent and treatment-specific
developmental abnormalities in P. lividus at embryonic and larval stages*.
Those embryos exposed to virgin polyethylene leachates with no additives
nor environmental contaminants developed normally, suggesting that the
abnormalities observed are the result of exposure to either environmentally
adsorbed contaminants or pre-existing industrial additives within the
polymer matrix. In the light of the chemical contents of the leachates and
other characteristics of the plastic particles used, we discuss the
phenotypes observed during our study, which include *abnormal gastrulation,
impaired skeletogenesis, abnormal neurogenesis, redistribution of pigmented
cells and embryo radialisation.*

Libre
de virus. www.avast.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>